General Information

Plate Types

The County Treasurer's Office issues license plates for all vehicles except: commercial apportioned, exempt (government, schools, law enforcement), and some specialty plates (custom vehicle, street rod, pioneer), which are issued by the Wyoming Department of Transportation.

Different types of vehicles require different plate types. Available plate types are:

  • All Terrain Vehicles (MPVs) - Take a look at our MPV Information Checklist to verify yours is street legal
  • Commercial
  • Commercial Trailer
  • Dealer - Demo and Full Use
  • Handicapped
  • House Trailer
  • Lightweight Trailer (under 1,000 pounds)
  • Lightweight Trailer Permanent Plate (under 1,000 pounds)
  • Motorcycle
  • Passenger
  • Trailer
  • Truck

County Prefix

Counties may only issue plates that carry their county designation. Therefore, all plates issued at the Converse County Treasurer's Office carry the prefix "13." However, residents of Wyoming may license their vehicles in any county.

Click here for a complete list of county license number prefixes and county seats.


Plates always expire a year from the month the vehicle was purchased, or a year from the month the vehicle entered the state. However, someone purchasing a registration may always select a different month by paying additional fees to move the expiration date. The registration must always be at least 12 months.

Display of Plates

Two license plates are issued for cars, trucks, and commercial vehicles. Both must be displayed (one in front and one in back) in order for the vehicle to be legally licensed. Some vehicles in Wyoming may be exempt from a front license plate. Exempt vehicles include those that:

  • Display Custom, Pioneer, or Street Rod plates, or
  • Were originally manufactured without a bracket, device, or other means to display and secure a front plate.

This means if you do have a bracket on the front of your vehicle, or a way to secure a license plate, you must display a front plate.

Note: The Treasurer's Office will still hand out 2 plates for all vehicles. It will be up to the owner of the vehicle to decide if their vehicle falls under these exemptions. View the bill here.

Farm Stickers

Farm stickers may be issued to vehicles used in agricultural operations upon request. The stickers are used to get through the Port of Entry more quickly and do not affect fees in any way.